Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Scrappy Trips

A couple of weekends ago I went to our first Guild retreat for the year. It was a last minute decision for me - we have had a summer seemingly without end and I wasn't sure that I really wanted to spend a weekend inside quilting when I could be enjoying yet more sunshine without a hint of a breeze. What won me over was the prospect that, if I put my mind to it, I could probably just about finish a quilt for the new niece that was due to arrive shortly into our wider family.

I had wild ideas of making up a quilt pattern that I'd been holding onto - however it is always useful to read instructions properly before starting on somewhere new, especially if you are away from home. I had nothing to make templates from so I needed to think quickly.

I'd seen lots of the Scrappy Trips Around the World quilts and the tutorial from Quiltville 
and thought I could probably remember, off the top of my head, how to make this. So off I set.
  

I had taken lots of soft colours with me so I started cutting these into strips and sewing


and before I knew it I had enough blocks to start playing with. So many options


so much fun to be had,


and best of all, so quick. Just after lunch on Sunday I put the final quilting stitches into the quilt.


And a week later Sophie Grace made her appearance over in Townsville. Perfect!

1 comment:

Jacky said...

Philippa you are prolific! I feel so guilty, I hardly put needle to thread these past months.... and you! I love this latest quilt. Such lovely colours.

Lovely to see so much productivity. You inspire me.

Jacky xox