Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Back to Basics - Back to Bindings

Working on bindings just seems to work like a charm for me. It gets me back behind the sewing machine after untimely lapses, gives me purpose, and reconnects me with quilts. I've been doing rather more working than sewing of late and this pile is helping to bring me back towards balance.

It's the latest group of refuge quilts that I have bought home to sew bindings on. This year as well as providing quilts to the Wellington Women's Refuge our Guild is also sending a consignment down to Christchurch, where I understand the refuge has lost half of its safe houses in the earthquake.It's rather nice to have a quilt on the lap of an evening now the weather is starting to turn, and its definitely comforting as I watch yet more disasters unfold of an evening around the world. It's all rather mind boggling.... This is my favourite - I hope it brings comfort to someone who needs it.
That's what I try to breathe into every stitch.

3 comments:

Jacky said...

Wonderful quilts .... and I am sure they will bring comfort to whomever receives them.
It is nice to be able to do something to help in some way isnt it?

Jacky xox

Stitchbird said...

I love sewing bindings on - if you ever need any help just let me know!

Gina E. said...

How kind you are...natural disasters tend to bring out the best in people, don't they? I made a bundle of blocks and sent them to a lady in NZ who is making quilts for the people of Christchurch. She joined my blocks up and did the backing, wadding, and binding. I felt guilty that I couldn't do any of that but she insisted that even just the top of a quilt is half the work, and they were grateful.