Sunday, November 16, 2008

Focusing the mind

There's nothing like a close examination of your diary to really focus your mind. This weekend I came to the realisation that it is only one month until we head away for my brother's wedding and we have a lot of things to pack into that short time. Some would call it an act of denial but this sent me quickly to the sewing room to finally get cracking on some gifts that I may (or may not - depending on who is reading...) need for a holiday that is coming up in a mere 6 weeks. That's right - the Christmas rush is almost upon us.


Being ever mindful of the state of the world economy, and in the knowledge that something handmade is so much better than anything I could find in the shops anyway, I decided that a close examination of the stacks of fabric that I seem to be hoarding would yield some interesting possibilities. In no time at all I had the bag production facility in full swing - I'm rather pleased with the results.... a rather nice Liberty number....
something more restrained for one of my quieter relatives and then a couple for the floral lovers among us.... Someone asked me a couple of days ago if I had found a use for lace doilies, which got my fingers into action. I think they are just perfect for some bag embellishment...

and I've hand stitched a couple onto the very boring hoodie that I seem to almost live in at this time of year when the weather is still so changable. They have made this garment far more 'me' and I've had lots of positive comments about it already. I'm starting to think that there are a few other garments in my wardrobe that could do with some similar attention.I think there may still be a couple more bags to come, but first I have 34 feet of hand stitching to get through to get the binding on the wedding quilt done. The quilt has arrived back from being quilted and I'm thrilled with it. Sue has done a fabulous job, as always. However the amount of binding to be stitched down is slightly daunting - just as well I like hand stitching.
Somehow I think the new quilt that is in the brewing might be a post holiday activity, but then it's always good to have something to look forward to!

3 comments:

Marilyn said...

They look wonderful! Well done. My hard work is not nearly so visible. I've been hard at work in the garden for days now and the skip is full of rubbish and weeds which is very satisfying but not terribly obvious to anyone but me!

Ali B said...

I love the bags! And the hoodie. Well done I'm sure the gifts will be much appreciated!

I have an interesting photo of a skirt made with souvenir teatowels. Not as foul (or feral as we say in aussieland) as you might think. Will scan and send soon. Something to think about over Xmas....

Anonymous said...

Found your post while searching for lace doilies. Love the new bags - and really like the way you used the doily. Keep up the good work and have fun at the wedding...
Sandi from Sandi's T's