Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The magic of stone

Another dose of the plague house here (well just a sore stomach actually) so I thought I should pop up another post. That last photo of Andy Goldsworthy's Black Spring really didn't do it justice. What I love is the texture and colour of the stone.... the construction ideas....
and the reflection of the local environment that his work is always reliant on, given its formed from locally available, found materials. There was stone in abundance for me to admire while we were in Adelaide. Buildings were I live are typically wooden - moves better in the earthquakes - so the novelty is probably part of the appeal of the stone. After all, part of the human condition is to want what we don't have - just look at the rage for hair straighteners and curlers if you doubt me for a moment.
This wall - from the Adelaide Art Gallery - particularly appealed. Such a good quilt pattern....
Do I sound truly odd yet???

2 comments:

Judy B said...

Finding quilt ideas from walls, paving, tiles and manhole covers is normal .... from where I stand anyway!

Philippa said...

Thanks for the comment Judy. We all love a little external affirmation after all. My family just think I'm slightly odd... but I think there is a lot to be said for creative eccentricity and try to role model it for the kids!