Saturday, June 28, 2008

Dealing to Distractions

On Thursday I found a book that I've been looking out for for a while - Twyla Tharp's The Creative Habit. I've seen it given great write ups by various people so was thrilled when I found it at Unity Books (where else!).

It's beautifully written, really engaging and I can already tell that I'm going to enjoy it very much. There is only one small problem that I can see at this stage - just about the first thing that Tharp talks about that is the need to deal with distractions. Of course I know, instinctively, that this is right. Distractions pull you away from the work that you know you want to do, the pieces you know you want to create and the ideas swirling inside the brain just itching to get out. Tharp talks about some of the distractions that she has trouble with - movies, multitasking, numbers and background music.

I can instantly tell you what some of mine are too, without too much thought - magazines, movies and surfing the Internet, especially craft / art blogs. And there is the problem in a nutshell - having discovered the lure of blogs, now I'm going to have learn to ration.....
Ain't life just full of challenges....

No comments: