Friday, May 9, 2008

What a destination!

Well that was longer than I intended...plague house hung around for a while....infact much longer than desirable by any measure! And no sooner was that over and our guests had left that I was off and away for 4 fantastic days at Parallel 41 - a quilting extravaganza hosted by Picton Quilters. This is the fabulous advertising slogan for the Cook Strait Ferry - the Interislander. It made me laugh so hard it just had to be photographed for the blog...
Picton is the most beautiful place - I'd never realised having only ever dashed through there on the way to somewhere else
Had wonderful early morning walks each day just soaking in the sights...
This was my favourite, I think - I went looking for it after being told there was a fresh water spring not far from us that had a car sitting over it, with a tree growing through the middle. I felt that the goat just set it off a treat! Apparently in the early 1800s local Maori were badly ill with diseases bought by European new to the area. One of the local chiefs is credited with saving his tribe by bringing them water from this fresh water spring rather than the sources being used by those already ill. What better way to mark the spot than with an abandoned car?
And then there was the quilting...fabulous tutors - Cheryl Comfort was so great to work with for the first two days that I threw caution to the wind, stayed on and did another two days with her. So much fun, so much learning and so much laughter. What more could you ask for. Lots of work still in progress but here's a little something.

Because I hadn't planned to stay for the second class - Cross Sections - I just had to use fabric I had to hand....I was so pleased I'm thinking of abandoning any future attempts to actually prepare for future classes! More to come

1 comment:

Marilyn said...

What is the Love and Clutter book? Should I read it before tackling the housework??