Monday, April 7, 2008

Diversionary Tactics

It's so satisfying to have one project done and be able to move to the next without it still hanging around - here's a small corner of my Japanese quilt complete with binding. In no time at all it will be covering the bed for my brother and sister in law when they come to stay. Only small problem is the major transformation that will be required to turn the creative chaos of my sewing room into a welcoming guest room.... at least the bed will look welcoming! So since I can't be starting something large at the moment I've been pondering those curves I love. This small quilt was inspired by the Australian movie, The Oyster Farmer, which had the most amazing shots (a NZ cinematograher and director!) of the Hawkesbury River and all the curves and oxbows that snake through the landscape. It was transfixing. I have a lot more of these in my sketch pads and in my brain waiting to be realised...
In the meantime there is always the diversionary tactics of searching the Internet for new old embroideries to snap up (I am currently waiting for 27 pieces to wing into the mail box - can't wait to get my hands on those and take photos of the real gems I'm hoping will be amongst the pile) and of course the limitless attractions of rearranging china on the dresser.
I stitched this charming Dutch couple from an old iron on pattern that I found in an antique shop - more to come in the series. They are so sweet and fun to stitch. In due course a number of my Dutch relatives will also share in these delights. If only there were more hours in the day to indulge in such enjoyment.

1 comment:

Gina E. said...

Oh that is so sweet! Like Redwork done in blue, if you know what I mean?